Sunday, 28 December 2014


The A5 road south from Douglas leads to Castletown and on the way the road crosses FAIRY BRIDGE at Malew. Here, according to superstition, one should stop and greet the Fairies before crossing to avoid bad luck. 

CASTLETON, situated on Castletown Bay at the confluence of the River Silverburn, was the Manx capital until 1869 and its history can be traced
back to 1090.


This small town of just some 3,000 inhabitants is dominated by the well preserved medieval Castle Rushden.
The single handed clock on the castle keep, which was presented by Elizabeth 1st  in 1597, is still in working order.
The castle overlooks the Market Place where the Old St Mary's Church, now redundant and given over to office accommodation, is a prominent building.
A large monument in the Market Place commemorates Colonel Cornelius Smelt who was Lieutenant Governor of the Isle of Man from 1805 until 1832.

The Old House of Keys alongside the castle was the location of Tynwald, the Manx parliament, until it moved to Douglas in 1874. The building was renovated in 2000 and is now a museum.
The Old Grammar School is an interesting building near the harbour. It was originally built as a chapel between 1190 and 1230. It is now a museum exhibit.

Another fine building nearby is the town police station

CALF OF MAN is an island off the southwest coast of the Isle of Man. It is almost one square mile in size and is separated from the mainland by a narrow stretch of water known as Calf Sound. In private ownership until 1939 the island is now in the care of the National Trust. Apart from being a notable sea bird sanctuary it also has a large population of seals which live an breed on this
rocky coastline.

The south of the Isle of Man rises up to the mountainous area of
Snaefell Pike.

PORT ERIN is an attractive village situated in a sheltered bay in the
south-west of the island.


Spectacular views are to be had from the headland known as Bradda Head.

PEEL is a thriving fishing port on the west coast with a maritime history that spans hundreds of years. This seaside resort has a long sandy beach 
The magnificent medieval ruins of Peel Castle are situated on the tiny
St Patrick's Isle which is accessible via a walkway.

 This seaside resort has a long sandy beach 
Kippers have been produce in Peel since at least the 19th century and there are just two factories remaining. It is possible to see the preparation and smoking process and indeed to purchase this delicious product.
Many of the buildings and yards on the East Quay have been sympathetically renovated with old warehouses being transformed into apartments.


 The Old Courthouse building on this quay now houses the Leece Museum and is devoted to artefacts relating to the town. It is possible to visit the old lock-up in the basement which was known as 'The Black Hole'.

Originally a chapel of ease dating to c1550, St Peter's church in the town centre,
was destroyed by fire in 1958. The clock tower, built in 1872 and financed by public subscription remains intact.


No comments: