Wednesday, 28 May 2014


The south-east of Scotland is a tourist destination in itself with rolling hills and lovely small towns often missed by holidaymakers heading for the more northerly parts.



Lockerbie is a small market town in the Scottish Borders now bypassed by the A74 on the western route into Scotland. 
The fine tollbooth dominates the town.   It replaced the ‘old tower’  which was the town gaol.  The 'Lockerbie nick' was something quite different – in the final battle between the feuding Johnstone and Maxwell clans in 1593, many of the defeated Maxwells had their ears sliced off – a custom known as the Lockerbie nick.
Lockerbie is probably best remembered for the disaster which struck
the town in 1988. 
Pan American Boeing 747 Clipper, ‘Maid of the Seas’, with 243 passengers and 16 crew, left Heathrow Airport at 18.25 hours on Wednesday 21st December 1988, bound for New York as flight 103.   At approximately 19.03 hours, the aircraft was blown apart by an internal explosion from a terrorist bomb.   Falling over 31,000 feet, it crashed near Lockerbie  and pieces of the wreckage were scattered over 846 square miles.   All the people on board were killed, as were 11 residents on the ground, a total of 270 people.  In Sherwood Crescent, Lockerbie, there was a crater 155 feet long and 733 cubic yards volume.  
Some of the dead were buried at Lockerbie where a fine memorial garden
can be seen.



In 1999, two Lybian’s thought to be responsible, were handed over for trial.  The two men were subsequently tried in Holland by a Scottish court. 
Only one of them, Abdelbaset Al Megrahi, was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment, upheld on appeal.
In 2009 Al Megrahi, suffering from terminal cancer, was released on compassionate grounds and later died in his native Lybia.



A sulphur spring, found near Moffat, just a few miles further north, in 1630 put the little town on the map and it gained attraction as a spa town. It is popular with walkers in the nearby hills and is a popular stop for holiday coaches. This fascinating little town is full of interesting curiosities.



Situated at the top of the High Street is the Colvin Fountain with its ram, which signifies the importance of the local sheep farming industry. It was sculptured by William Brodie R.S.A who also sculptured Edinburgh's 'Greyfriars Bobby'.  A curious thing about this sculpture is that the ram is missing its ears and has been since it was presented to the town in 1875 by William Colvin.
"It has nae lugs" was the cry at the unveiling ceremony much to the embarrassment of the sculptor.
  A sheep racing event has been established in the town centre
in August each year.

The Thomas Hetherington Pharmacy in the High Street established in 1844, is said to be the oldest pharmacy in Scotland. The old shop has been maintained with some interior modifications and is now operated by the
Co-operative Pharmacy.

The Star Hotel in the High Street dates to the late 1700’s. This old inn, only 20 feet wide and 162 feet long, is listed in the Guiness Book of Records as being the world’s narrowest hotel.

Just behind the Star is Chapel Street which connects Star Street to Well Street.
With just one house the street is only 14 feet in length and is claimed to be the shortest street in Scotland.



A 4 ft high zinc statue seems to be out of place on the top of this house in Well Street. It is a statue of Robert the Bruce and is said to have been taken in payment of a debt by the builder of Bruce House in the late 19th century.

The Parish Church is dedicated to St Andrew, the Patron Saint of Scotland.

Two poignant gravestones in the old graveyard at Moffat tell a story of bravery and disaster.  On a February day in 1831 the Dumfries to Edinburgh mail coach. with its driver John Goodfellow and guard James McGeorge, had left Moffat and ran into an intense snowstorm near to Erickstane. They struggled on  but eventually were forced to stop when they were engulfed in deep snow.
They released the horses and the two men fought their way through the blizzard carrying the mail bags between them but perished in their attempt
to reach safety.


This exact replica of a 1944 Mk1x Supermarine Spitfire PT462 can be seen in the garden of a small bungalow in Moffat.

Air Chief Marshall Sir Hugh Dowding, C in C of Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain was born in Moffat and his house there is now part of a sheltered housing complex. The owner of the Spitfire intends to leave the model to Dowding House and the people of Moffat as a lasting memorial.


The Three Wise Monkeys don't seem to be too impressed by their neighbour.





Jedburgh on the A68, a major north/south route, is a small market town on Jed Water where there is a notable red red-sandstone abbey.

Jed Water



This 16th century pack-horse bridge crosses the Jed Water

The Mercat Cross with the 18th century 'New Gate' which leads to
the Abbey precincts.

Jedburgh Abbey was founded in 1118 by King David 1. The abbey church was used as a parish church until 1875. The fine rose window is known as St Catherine's Wheel.

Mary Queens of Scots stayed in this house in 1566 which is now a museum.

King David 1 built a castle in 1174 which dominated the town but it was demolished in 1409.  A modern castle was built on the site at the top of Castlegate in 1823 and served as the town gaol until 1868. The building was restored in 1964 and is open to the public as a gaol and museum.


If you go to Jedburgh you should be aware of Jeddart Justice where the offender was hanged first and tried later!


Monday, 26 May 2014


Having holidayed in Scotland for many years my next few posts
will be about the attractions which Scotland has to offer
together with some interesting facts about the various areas.

I am starting in the south west - Dumfries & Galloway and Ayshire

GRETNA GREEN  is a village in Dumfries and Galloway near the mouth of the River Esk. It was historically the first village in Scotland on the old coaching route from London to Edinburgh.

Wikipedia tells us :

‘It has usually been assumed that Gretna's famous "runaway marriages" began in 1754 when Lord Hardwicke's Marriage Act came into force in England. Under the Act, if a parent of a minor (i.e., a person under the age of 21) objected, they could prevent the marriage going ahead. The Act tightened up the requirements for marrying in England and Wales but did not apply in Scotland, where it was possible for boys to marry at 14 and girls at 12 with or without parental consent (see Marriage in Scotland). It was, however, only in the 1770s, with the construction of a toll road passing through the thitherto obscure village of Graitney, that Gretna Green became the first easily reachable village over the Scottish border.[3] The Old Blacksmith's Shop, built around 1712, and Gretna Hall Blacksmith's Shop (1710) became, in popular folklore at least, the focal tourist points for the marriage trade. The Old Blacksmith's opened to the public as a visitor attraction as early as 1887.

The local blacksmith and his anvil have become the lasting symbols of Gretna Green weddings. Scottish law allowed for "irregular marriages", meaning that if a declaration was made before two witnesses, almost anybody had the authority to conduct the marriage ceremony. The blacksmiths in Gretna became known as "anvil priests", culminating with Richard Rennison, who performed 5,147 ceremonies.’

The Old Blacksmith’s Shop is still a popular venue for weddings.


This area is probably best known as Robbie Burns country.
Burns was born in this cottage at Alloway to the south of Ayr in 1759. The Burns Birthplace Museum now incorporates the cottage and the Aud Kirk, together with a visitor centre, The Burns memorial and parkland on the north bank of the River Doon. All now in the care of The National Trust for Scotland.

The Burn's Memorial, designed by Sir Thomas Hamilton, was built in 1820. The 70ft high Grecian style temple has nine pillars which represent the nine muses of Greek mythology.
Brig O'Doon the setting for Tam O' Shanter
Burns 'father was a farmer and Robbie was his labourer until he took a farm tenancy of his own. However his heart was not in farming and his great passion was poetry for which his reputation grew steadily. Burns eventually moved to Dumfries with his wife Jean Armour and growing family where he obtained a position as an excise man.
In poor health he died at Dumfries in 1796 at the young age of 37.
The River Nith at Dumfries 
The family moved to this house in Dumfries in 1793.
In poor health Burns died in this house in 1796 at the young age of 37. 
His wife and family lived here until Jean died in 1834.
Both are buried in St Michaels churchyard at Dumfries.
Burns was a frequent visitor to the various pubs in Dumfries, especially The Globe which is known as 'Burns Howff'.




This pub in Dumfries was also one of Burns' haunts.

Burns was the president of the Bachelor Club at Tarbolton not far from Ayr. It was a debating club held in this fine 17th century building in Sandgate Street which is now in the care of the National Trust for Scotland.

The churchyard at Kirkoswald near Ayr is famous as the burial place of  Tam O' Shanter and Souter Johnie, two of Robert Burns best known characters.    A gravestone, in this churchyard was erected by Douglas Kennedy in memory of his father Scipio Kennedy who died June 24 1774 aged 80 years.   
Scipio was a former African slave who made good.

In the 18th century it was fashionable to employ black servants and as early as 1702 a Captain Douglas of Mains in Dumbartonshire brought a young boy from Guinea in West Africa as a slave.   He named the boy Scipio and when the Captain’s daughter married John Kennedy of Culzean Castle in 1705, Scipio became their servant.  They obviously thought a lot about the boy and he was given the surname of Kennedy. The Kennedy’s subsequently became Earl’s of Cassillis

After 20 years with the family Scipio signed a legal contract to continue service with the family for a further 19 years for twelve Scottish pounds yearly, plus ‘a share of the drinks money’ ?

One argument against slavery was that it was offensive to Christian teaching.  However it was also thought that as African tribes were not Christian, then slavery was beneficial to ensure Christian teaching.  Thus Scipio was converted to Christianity in Scotland and so became a free man.   He married a local girl, Margaret Gray and they and their family took the Kennedy surname.  They were given a home and a plot of land on the Culzean estate and Scipio remained in the employ of the Earl until his death in 1774.

The mighty Kennedy stronghold of Culzean Castle on the Ayrshire coast
is now in the care of the National Trust for Scotland.


Culzean was well prepared for the threats of Napoleon

One needs to be careful whilst travelling along the A719 coast road in this area and to be aware of the Croy Brae or Electric Brae

Devorgilla, Lady of Galloway, founded a Cistercian Monastery,beautifully situated on the banks of the Pow Burn near Dumfries, in 1273 in memory of her husband, John Balliol, father of King John of Scotland and founder of Balliol College, Oxford.  When he died, Devorgilla had his heart embalmed and she carried it around in a casket.   When she died in 1289, she was buried with the casket in front of the high altar of the abbey.   Thus the word  sweetheart  became part of the English language and the abbey became known as  Sweetheart Abbey.   The ruined abbey still stands in the village of New Abbey.