Sunday, 11 May 2014


Fountains Abbey was founded by Cistercian monks in the remote valley of the tiny River Skell near Ripon in 1132 and was supressed  by Henry V111 during the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century. Now these ruins in their idyllic natural setting are a World Heritage site 
owned by the National Trust.

Studley Royal park and water gardens is also part of
the World Heritage site.
Formerly the home of the Marquess of Ripon it was first developed in the early 18th century.
Temple of Piety and water gardens
Palladian style mini banqueting house 
 Eye catching folly
The deer park 


St Mary's church dates to 1878. 

No comments: