Wednesday, 24 April 2013

SHROPSHIRE. lock-up at Bishop's Castle.

The lock-up at Bishop's Castle was situated in the basement of the Town Hall, High Street, SY9 5BG and has now been converted into public toilets. The building dates to c1765 to the designs of architect William Baker, with 19th century remodelling.


OS Grid Reference: SO3234488950
OS Grid Coordinates: 332344, 288950
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4942, -2.9979

Photo by David Neal
© Copyright David Neal and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
I am grateful to David Neal for the use of his Geograph photograph.
The building was Grade 11* listed 28.7.1950 (No.256962) and described as :
Town Hall. Circa 1765 with mid- to late-C19 remodelling.
 Basement and 2 storeys.
2 circular basement windows with wrought-iron grilles.
5 bay east and west fronts; .....  public lavatories in former
lock-up in basement to south. Interior: entrance hall to north with
office above, and ground floor hall to south with Courtroom (probably
former Council Chamber) above
  Listing NGR: SO3234488950
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.

The lock-up at Much Wenlock is situated at the north end of the undercroft of The Guildhall in Wilmore Street, TF13 6HR, which contains the old Council Chamber and Law Courts on the upper floor. 
Whilst the building is timber framed, the lock-up is built from stone and
may date to the late 14th century.
OS Grid Reference: SO6235599955
OS Grid Coordinates: 362355, 299955
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5961, -2.5572
The building was Grade 11* listed 24.10.1950 (No.254848) and described as :

Circa 1557. Timber frame and plaster. Single storey raised upon an arcaded
undercroft of oak posts with plain brackets. The undercroft is of seven
bays closed by C19 gates. The north end, below, is of stone, probably
late C14, originally a prison. The superstructure has 3 gables, that
on right-hand side modern over a timber-framed passage-way, each containing
a tall moulded wood mullioned and transomed six-light leaded windows. 2
additional smaller lights. The east side or rear is much rebuilt, C19
with arcaded treatment and some brickwork, but the structure generally
is an excellant example of its type. Original queen-post roof. Jacobean
panelling and fittings, but little of it in situ. Recently well restored.

Listing NGR: SO6235699956
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.

No comments: