Tuesday, 9 April 2013

DERBYSHIRE. Lock-ups at Sandiacre, Smisby, Ticknall and Swarkestone

Very often village lock-ups were situated in or close to the village animal pound.
This is the case at Sandiacre where the pound and the lock-up are intact. 
The complex is situated at 44 Church Street, NG19 5DZ.
It dates to 1660 and was rebuilt in the late 18th century.
It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.


OS Grid Reference: SK4794237077
OS Grid Coordinates: 447942, 337077
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9290, -1.2882

Photo's by Garth Newton

© Copyright Garth Newton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

It was Grade 11 listed 10.11.1967 (No.822922) and described as :

Village lock-up and pound. 1660, rebuilt in late C18. Sandstone
ashlar with sandstone dressings and pyramidal plain tile roof,
plus eaves band. Small square lock-up building about 12 feet
high with plank door to west face and two small windows to south
face, one above the other. Attached to south side is a tall
ashlar wall with rounded copings which curves round to east
forming a pound. Over the door is a plaque inscribed 'Erected
as a village lock-up and pound for the imprisonment of stray
animals about the year '1660 AD'. This is also an Ancient
Monument .
Listing NGR: SK4794237077

Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.


I am grateful to Garth Newton for the use of his Geograph photographs
The  lock-up at Smisby is typical of a handful in this area of South Derbyshire and North Leicestershire with a distinctive style of high tapering roof. Known as The Jug, it is situated at 3 Main Street, LE65 2TN and it dates to the late 18th century.

OS Grid Reference: SK3486919083
OS Grid Coordinates: 434869, 319083
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7682, -1.4846

Photo by Roy Pledger
It was Grade 11* listed 19.1.1967 (No.82879) and described as :

Lock up. Late C18. Red brick with sandstone dressings. Small
polygonal building with a four-centred arched doorway on the
north side with studded plank door. Tall tapering octagonal
upper part, of brick with stone bands at the base and the top.
Surmounted by a ball finial .
Listing NGR: SK3486919083
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.

Smisby village website - www.smisby.org.uk  relates :

' Also known as a jug, or roundhouse, lock-ups are relics of the past. The early 18th century village lock-up was used to lock up drunks and minor lawbreakers until they had cooled off, or while waiting escourt to Derby Court. It was also used to house paupers and vagrants on a temporary basis. The Smisby lockup is octagonal in shape, brick built with tiled spire roof and and has a heavy studded door. Other examples can be found at Ticknall, Breedon and at Alton and are of similar design - circular, without a window, a conical roof and a heavy door (there are around 200 surviving roundhouses in the country. Most date from the 17th and 18th century).

The village once had three pubs of which the Smisby Arms (formerly The Nelson) and the Annwell Inn (formerly Mother Hubbards, and The Malt Shovel before that) continue with a lively trade. However, in leaner times The Three Tuns just down the Main Street had insufficient trade and became a private dwelling. Perhaps with a population once around 300 and three pubs, this was sufficient to fill the lock-up frequently '.





The lock-up at Ticknall is almost a fairy tale building and even has a fireplace.  Situated at 11 Main Street, DE73 1JZ, it dates to the late 18th century.
It is said that in the 19th century, Eliza Soar was the landlady of the Staff of Life pub in the village and apparently her door key also fitted that of the lock-up. When the village constable had gone to bed, Eliza could be persuaded to release any incumbent of the lock-up.



OS Grid Reference: SK3515323908
OS Grid Coordinates: 435153, 323908
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8116, -1.4799

Photo by Roy Pledger
It was Grade 11* listed 19.1.1967 (No.82826) and described as :

 Lock-up. Late C18. Red brick with sandstone dressings. Small
octagonal structure with a doorway to south with stone lintel
and jambs. Studded plank door. Chamfered stringcourse at the
base of the octagonal brick spire. The interior has a
.Listing NGR: SK3515323908

Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.
 'The lockup was built in 1809 for the overnight accommodation of people arrested in the village before being carted off to Derby. However it became obsolete in 1850.

There are over 200 similar constructions in Britain and nearby ones are visible at Smisby and Breedon on the Hill. All are of a similar design, round without a window, with a conical roof and a heavy door. Ticknall's was constructed with stone, bricks and lime mortar.

The inventory shows; carriage of lime 2s.6d, to John Asher going twice to Melbourne for stones 10s and to Mr G Hutchinson for Lime 18s.9d.

The entries for 10 and 21 October 1809 also records who undertook the work and how long it took. One was Mr G Orton for work at the round house £1 and John Illsley received a total of 14s for 7d for other building work. The village blacksmith, Henry Minion did the iron work and Mr Dickens did the carpentry. The total costs were £25.19.11.

The building became obsolete in 1850 and was used as a Home Guard arms store during the Second World War and since then for storing road sweeping tools. It is now a Grade 11 Listed building '.


I understand that there was a lock-up at Swarkestone near to the pub. Now just a pile of stones waiting to be rebuilt?




No comments: