Wednesday, 1 May 2013

CORNWALL. Lock-ups at St Day, St Ewe, St Tudy and Stratton.

The lock-up at St Day was situated on the ground floor of the Clock Tower
in Market Square, TR18 5JU which has now been altered as a War Memorial.
 The building dates to c1830.


OS Grid Reference: SW7299742522
OS Grid Coordinates: 172997, 42522
Latitude/Longitude: 50.2390, -5.1848
Photo's by Roy Pledger


The building was Grade 11 listed 12.9.1989 (No.66915) and described as :
' Clock tower (incorporating war memorial). c.1830, slightly altered. Coursed
dressed granite, with wooden bellcote on roof. Square plan, plus a rectangular
porch on the south side. Early English style, with chamfered 2-centred arched
openings and hoodmoulds. Three stages, each set back above a weathered offset.
The porch has a large arched outer doorway furnished with added ornamental
wrought-iron gates, a small window in each side, and an embattled parapet over
a weathered band; inside, the formerly matching inner doorway is now filled by a
granite war memorial with the inscription:-
followed by 39 names, plus 17 added for 1939-1945. The sides and rear of the
1st stage have blind arched doorways. The upper stages are the same on all
sides: the 2nd has windows with Y-tracery; the 3rd has small coupled lancets
under a square hoodmould, and a large clock face above; the top has an
embattled parapet, and a tall octagonal bellcote in matching style, with a swept
cap and weathervane. The boundary wall of the small square enclosure round the
tower is of large punch-dressed granite blocks, in sections approx. 3 metres long
with concave coping between short square monolithic piers which have square
caps and are linked by twisted iron rails, with a wrought-iron gate in the centre
of the front. (A modern public lavatory built in the enclosure to the rear is not
included in the item.)
The tower, built on a site known in the C18 as St Day Green, is a prominent
focal point in this small town '.
Listing NGR: SW7299742522

Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.



The lock-up at St Ewe is situated in Main Street opposite the Crown Hotel, PL26 6EY
and dates to the 18th century. It is currently being used as a store by the hotel.

                              ST EWE

OS Grid Reference: SW9778246098
OS Grid Coordinates: 197782, 46098
Latitude/Longitude: 50.2801, -4.8396
Photo's by Roy Pledger


It appears to have been Grade 11 listed as an outbuilding (probably the property of the Crown Inn) on 15.11.1988 (No.71557) and described as :
Outbuilding, possibly a pump house. C18. Slatestone rubble and cob; painted.
Hipped scantle slate roof with ridge tiles.
Plan: Small square plan outbuilding.
Exterior: Low single storey. The front has plank door with strap hinges and timber lintel to right; small 2-light window to left with wooden frame and plain wooden mullion. There is a single storey C20 corrugated iron lean-to at the rear.
Listing NGR: SW9778246098

Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.


The lock-up at St Tudy, known as The Clink, stands on the north side of the churchyard at Redvale Road, PL30 3NN. It was originally a church ale housedating to the 17th century and later became a lock-up when the church wardens were responsible for law and order.

OS Grid Reference: SX0662376340
OS Grid Coordinates: 206623, 76340
Latitude/Longitude: 50.5548, -4.7313
Photo by Bob King
It was Grade 11 listed 4.11.1988 (No.67824) and described as :
 Church house, later used as a school room and parish clink or lock-up. Now used as
parish rooms. Circa C18, probably with earlier origins. Restored by parish in 1986.
Stone rubble. Rag slate roof with gable ends. Some possibly early crested ridge
tiles. Brick stack on east gable end.
Plan: Overall rectangular 1-room plan. Backs onto north side of churchyard. 2-
storey elevation to front-and single storey elevation to rear where ground is at a
higher level. Ground floor entrance in front elevation facing road. External stair
in east gable end provides access to first floor from both churchyard to rear and
road to front.
Exterior: 2-storey 1 window front elevation. Stone rubble and granite external
stair from road to front and from churchyard to rear, rising up to door in first
floor of left hand (east) gable end.
Interior: Not accessible.
Listing NGR: SX0662176340

Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.

Photo by Bob King
I am most grateful to Bob King, Webmaster of the village website for sending me all these photographs and the following information about the clink. 


Later it was a Dame School when children had to bring a 1d and a lump of coal.  When the new school was built, the Clink was used as a night school and village meeting room.  The Royal Order of Buffaloes and Art Society have used the upper room, with its attractive barrel ceiling, and the ground floor is regularly used for community functions and coffee mornings when many thousands of pounds have been raised for charitable causes.
Owned by the Rector and Churchwardens it was fully restored in 1986.  The high quality of the restoration work (by builder Gary Keat under the direction of architect John Tanner, both parishioners) earned a Commendation from the Cornish Building Group.  In 1999 the Clink was re-roofed by Gary and Graham Keat.

The lock-up or clink at Stratton has long been demolished but the door is preserved at
St Andrew's Church, Sanctuary Lane, EX23 9DD.
The heavy studs on the door have also been used for the word 'clink'.


Photo's by Roy Pledger.


No comments: