The views from The Grand Hotel are spectacular and there are steep steps alongside the building leading down to the foreshore.
Looking south towards the Spa
A much easier way down is via the adjoining funicular, built in 1881,
with a 71m drop
The building at the foot of the lift, now an amusement arcade was formerly the site of The Olympia Ballroom a popular venue in the first part of the 20th century with its own dance band. It was also the venue for visiting 'big bands' when the likes of the Ted Heath, Joe Loss and Geraldo Orchestra's
appeared on a regular basis.
Built in 1894 the building was gutted by fire in the 1960's and was demolished.
Next to the lift is the Town Hall where nice gardens are situated down the slope with zig zag footpaths leading down to the foreshore.
The building was originally a private house built c.1846. The local council bought it later in the century. After alterations it was opened as Scarborough Town Hall in 1903 by Princess Henry of Battenburg who also unveiled a statue of her mother, Queen Victoria which still stands in the garden.
Down on the foreshore the south beach is skirted by Scarborough's 'golden mile' where there are amusements arcades, cafes and shops, everything for the holiday maker.