Thursday, 28 March 2013

YORKSHIRE. Lock-ups at Rastrick, Slaithwaite, Snaith and Thorp Arch.

The lock-up at Rastrick in West Yorkshire was situated in the basement of the Local Board Offices at the corner of Ogden Lane and Stackgarth.
Photo by Humphrey Bolton.
Stackgarth, a short unmade street off Ogden Lane. The house on the left was the offices of Rastrick Local Board from 1863 until the formation of Brighouse Borough in 1893. The village lock-up was in the basement, so the blocked doorway (at the extreme left of the photograph) probably led down to it.

  © Copyright Humphrey Bolton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
I am grateful to Humphrey Bolton for the use of his Geograph photograph and comments.
 The lock-up at Slaithwaite in West Yorkshire is situated within the precincts of
the Manor House, Church Street, HD7 5AS and dates to 1831 (datestone).
It contains a single cell and has no windows.
Apparently it was never used.

National Grid Reference: SE 07758 13995
Photo by Stanley Walker on Geograph
© Copyright Stanley Walker and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

It was Grade 11 listed 11.7.1985 (No.1233459) and described as :

1831. Single cell building. 1 storey. Flat roof with crenelated parapet. Ashlar with rusticated quoins. South facing door with large stone lintel with shallow false arch with inscription.
Erected by subscription 1831.

Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.



The lock-up at Snaith in The East Riding of Yorkshire,  is situated in the Butter Market, DN14 9HN, alongside the church wall.  It has two cells and dates to the late 18th/early 19th century. It is known locally as the 'Penny Cells' due to the fact that incumbents had to pay 1d to the Constable following their pleasure at being incarcerated therein.  

OS Grid Reference: SE6413222178
OS Grid Coordinates: 464132, 422178
Latitude/Longitude: 53.6921, -1.0303
Photo by Roy Pledger

It was Grade 11 listed 23.4,1952 (No..164908) and described as :

Former lock-up. Late C18-early C19, with later alterations to roof of left cell. Built by the Vestry Board for the use of the Manor Constables. Brown brick with sandstone ashlar dressings. Pantile roof. Plan: 2 rooms, each with entrance to street. Single storey, 2 windows. Doorways with ashlar jambs and lintels and original heavy studded oak board doors, flanked by small single windows with ashlar surrounds and 6 vertical iron bars with single cross-bar. Swept roof to cell on right; later single-pitch roof to cell on left (collapsed at time of resurvey). Interior: cell to right retains original sandstone ceiling. Former boiler house adjoining to rear, and fire-station addition adjoining to right, are not of special interest. An unusual and important survival, empty and partly derelict at time of resurvey.

Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.

The building has been preserved by Snaith and District Heritage Society who have produced a leaflet outlining some of the history of the building :

Very little is known about the lock-up at Thorp Arch in West Yorkshire.
It is situated in Church Causeway, LS23 7AH, at the junction with Whins Lane, alongside All Saints church.

Photo's by Roy Pledger.




No comments: